Local employers awarded for their commitment to skills and young people
Hertfordshire businesses have been recognised for their commitment to young people at the 2019 Skillmaker Awards for Excellence.
These accolades celebrated the dedication of employers who are hosting work experience programmes to develop the potential of West Herts College students.
West Herts College Principal Gill Worgan, said:
‘Hertfordshire Skillmaker Employers are making a major contribution to boosting the work-readiness of our local young people. The experience has the power to change lives, opening up a world of opportunity for young people and giving them the skills and awareness that local businesses need. Offers of employment often follow including modern apprenticeships with local employers.’
Osborne Property Services, of Maxted Road, Hemel Hempstead, was one of the local businesses to be commended, winning an award in recognition for the professional experiences it offers in partnership with Dacorum Borough Council.
Sarah Askey, Community Investment Manager at Osborne Property Services, said:
‘We have worked with West Herts College on this project for four years. The experience is vital in helping young people make the transition from education to employment.’
Speaking after presenting awards, Ed Richardson, Senior Policy Adviser for the Confederation of British Industry, said:
‘Productivity is a national priority for British business. The Skillmaker partnership between employers and West Herts College is a model of best practice that’s making a real difference. It’s inspiring the next generation and building a pipeline of work-ready young talent.’
• The 2019 Skillmaker Awards for Excellence were held on Friday 12 July.
• More than 700 Skillmaker Employers work with West Herts College, creating opportunities for some 4,000 students every year.
• Skillmaker Employers come from across Hertfordshire: private sector, public sector, charitable third sector.
• Work experience programmes include supported opportunities for young people with disabilities and learning difficulties.
• Many programmes offer scope for progression on to apprenticeships.
• The 2019 Skillmaker Awards for Excellence recognised and celebrated the commitment of 25 of these employers, many of whom have a long-standing commitment to the partnership with West Herts College.