Apprenticeship in Leadership and Management at Kodak
The HR team at Kodak turned to West Herts College once it had identified the need for a professional development programme at the company’s European Hub, based at Croxley Green Business Park in Watford.
The resulting Level 4 Apprenticeship in Leadership and Management was rolled out to team leaders and aspiring team leaders. Selected for its mix of theory and practice, the programme offers new learning which was easily integrated into the organisation’s existing talent planning.
The apprenticeship combines understanding of key leadership principles with time to develop new skills that can be applied in the workplace right away.
The scope this offers for developing individuals – both in their current roles and as new opportunities arise – provided Kodak with a solid return on their investment in the programme.
Central to the Level 4 Apprenticeship in Leadership and Management is a focus on:
- Leading teams: both in the workplace and when working remotely
- Managing: projects, staff, stakeholders and organisational change
- Performance management and personal development
- Operations: recruitment, planning/resourcing, budgeting
With some of the Kodak apprentices returning to study for the first time in quite a while, West Herts College made sure that there was support for the apprentices to find their feet at the start. The challenge of studying while working was also supported, with skilled leadership and management coaches meeting apprentices between workshop sessions to mentor and guide.
Project work centred squarely on topics of direct benefit to apprentices’ current jobs and career aspirations, with a clear focus on real workplace challenges as well as managing staff and organisational change.
The first apprenticeship group achieved their qualifications in good time and each one saw their new confidence, skills and knowledge rewarded with more senior roles, often during their time spent studying:
- Two became team leaders before moving on to be cluster leaders with responsibility for activities across several European countries
- One relocated to Italy in a senior leadership capacity
- A Business Development team member became a Kodak Area Manager
- Another was invited to establish and lead an entirely new team, managing aspects of worldwide procurement
- Many now mentor colleagues across Europe as well as sponsoring their members of their own team on apprenticeship programmes
Thinking about an Apprenticeship?
Talk to our Apprenticeship team by calling 01923 275700 or emailing email@example.com