In this section

Overseas Applications

How do I apply as an overseas student?

It is best to contact our admissions team by email or telephone before applying to check that you are eligible to study in the U.K, once the team have deemed you eligible to study, you will then require a CAS number from the college to apply for your visa. 

What is a CAS?

International students applying for a Tier 4 Student Visa will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. This number confirms to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) that you have been accepted to study at a valid UK institution. Once you have met a number of conditions, including accepting an unconditional offer, you will be sent a CAS letter that will confirm your CAS number.

How do I get a CAS?

We will email you a statement containing your CAS number within 6 months of the start date of the course once you have fulfilled all of the requirements on the checklist below:

  1. Been made an unconditional offer of a place. If you have been given a conditional offer, you will need to meet the terms of your offer before a CAS can be issued
  2. Accepted your offer
  3. Provided a recent reference:

    At least one reference is required from all international students that apply for a CAS number.  This is a letter from your personal tutor or a previous teacher which explains your skills and experience in relation to the course you are applying for.
    This must be written in English, signed and provided on official letter headed paper.  We cannot accept references on a plain Word document. All references must be recent and preferably academic in nature.  If your application was accepted on the basis of your work experience, then we will accept a reference from your employer in lieu of this.
    Please note – We are unable to contact referees on behalf of students, therefore it is your responsibility to obtain a reference and send it directly to us as part of your application for a CAS number.

  4. Sent clear, colour copies of your Certificates and transcripts which were used as part of your application. Details of these will be listed on your CAS and so must also be provided at your visa application
  5. Sent a clear copy of your passport
  6. Sent your English Language test results (IELTS academic)
  7. While it is not required to receive a CAS number, it is helpful to your VISA application if you are able to pay your fees in full and upfront. You may be eligible for a payment plan to manage your fees on a smaller basis, contact our admissions team by email to discuss eligibility.

Can anyone help with my application?

If you have any questions about your CAS number allocation or applying for a VISA then please contact our admissions team on 01923 812345 or email for further advice and guidance.

What courses can I apply for as an overseas applicant?

When coming to the UK to study as an overseas student on a Tier 4 Visa, you must be studying on a course that is at least Level 3 or above. The course you study must be higher than any previous level of study, or a qualification that is required for a particular career.

Can’t find the answer you need? Contact us, we will aim to get back to you within 24 hours



full-time students would recommend West Herts College to a friend