Careers Advice and Guidance
As a West Herts College student in addition to your main qualification you will also participate in the GAP programme.
This means you will take part in a study programme full of career and skills boosting benefits, all with the aim of giving you the opportunity to become career ready!
One of the key objectives for the college is to equip learners with the skills and experiences they need to be successful in life and work.
You will take part in 37 hours of on the job training related to your chosen industry sector. We will arrange masterclasses and employer engagement experiences to provide you with as many opportunities as possible.
Our Bravura skills project runs alongside this providing you with the skills and core competencies that employers require.
Inspired with personalised 1 to 1 Careers Education Information and guidance to help you secure your next steps and intended destinations in the short and medium terms.
With the UK poised for high career growth as it emerges from the pandemic and employers looking to recruit the best talent to succeed in a post Brexit economy, we want to provide you with the platform and opportunities to maximise your potential and showcase your talent.
Careers Advice and Guidance
Our GAP team is made up of highly trained and qualified careers specialists who will offer impartial advice and guidance in order to inform you of all of the options available to you and give you the support and strategies to help you get to where you want to be.
Students can book 1:1 Careers Advice and Guidance sessions via the GAP website here, or by simply dropping in to see the GAP team on campus.
We've teamed up with local employers to bring you on-the-job training: a fresh approach to giving you what it takes to land a great first job.
You'll target the skills you need for success in ways which suit you and the employer, meaning you'll be busy every time you go to work and can expect to be completely involved in projects and tasks.
Whether you have your sights set on a particular industry, want to keep your options open or are looking to improve particular skills, we want to line you up with the right opportunity. All our students have access to our GAP website, where you can find our full range of opportunities.
On the job training should be an adventure wherever you go, and we’re here to help you get as much as possible out of your time so that you’ll have a great story to tell employers at interview for that all-important first job!
We are working with employers to clarify what skills employers are seeking and providing opportunities for students to develop these skills.
This enables you to build on the knowledge and skills you develop through completion of your main qualification and develop excellence in the skills needed in your intended destination.
Bravura focuses on skills and knowledge categories that include:
- Occupational skills – a set of competitive skills that employers are seeking for a specific job
- Transferable skills – a set of skills for you to be flexible and adaptable in your careers
- Digital Skills – a set of skills to use digital technology to become more productive at work
- English and Maths –a focus on the skills that relate to specific employment sectors and job-roles
- Entrepreneurship – employers are seeking individuals who have forward thinking attitudes and who can make a difference to the success of the business
CIAEG Events Calendar
View our CIAEG Events Calendar here.
At college you'll have access to a wide range of tools and resources that will help you to plan a personalised career pathway. Here are just a few of the ways you can access Careers Information at college.
- The GAP Team - Our GAP team are available on campus and online for you to book 1:1 CIAG sessions, you can book a meeting by heading to gap.westherts.ac.uk
- CANVAS - Our online learning platform Canvas has lots of resources for helping you to plan your journey towards your dream career
- Masterclasses and Sector Insights - Students can tap in to our vast library of talks, podcasts, events and videos from local employers about what it takes to succeed in industry
- CV Writing and Interview Skills - Our GAP team can help you develop your CV and Interview skills check out our handy guide here
- Provider access - We work closely with external agencies to organise talks and visits for students that will help inform them on their next steps
- English and maths - Our approach to English and maths is targeted at achieving the core skills that are most sought after by employers from the sector you'll be working towards
Local Labour Market Information
The College uses Labour Market Information to inform its curriculum planning, that means that we're constantly adding new courses and opportunities to meet the needs of local employers and prepare our students for the job opportunities of the future. You can find out more about the Local Labour Market information for Hertfordshire by visiting our GAP website: https://www.gap.westherts.ac.uk/local-opportunity
You can also find out more by visiting HOP - Powered by Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership explore hopinto.co.uk to discover the amazing career opportunities right on your doorstep. Unlock Local Labour Market information and learn about Hertfordshire's top employment sectors, local employers and job roles.
If you would like to find out more about GAP opportunities or book a 1:1 session then head over to our GAP website: click here.
LMI for All - https://www.lmiforall.org.uk/widget/
National Careers Service - https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/
Apprenticeships Search - https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
Discover Uni - https://www.discoveruni.gov.uk/
Not Going to Uni - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Hertfordshire Opportunities Portal - https://www.hopinto.co.uk/
CV Writing and Interview Skills - GAP - CV Writing and Interview Skills Guide